Feb 23, 2014

Introducing RatX

by Rebecca Dmytryk

In about a month, a new product will hit the shelves - a safe, effective, food-based rodenticide that is not hazardous to other animals - no risk of secondary poisoning!


Introducing RatXRatX is not a poison, but made of vegetable and cereal grain materials. Based on the unique digestive system of mice and rats, the newly patented formula is safe for other animals. Even squirrels!

RatX pellets can be used indoors and out, applied much the same way as poison-based pellets - including bait stations (outdoors) and shallow trays (indoors). It can also be distributed in small baggies in burrows and hard to reach places.

RatX is manufactured by ConSeal International, a leading manufacturer of specialty formulations for various industries and applications, with a focus on green technologies.




I had a chance to speak with inventor and CEO of ConSeal, Stephen Perry, and he gave me a little background on RatX.

A few years ago, when the EPA announced plans to limit the sale and use of anticoagulant rodenticides because of the risk to children, pets and wildlife, his company revisited a formula it had developed to successfully combat Australia's grain mice plagues, years ago. After some significant improvements on the original idea, RatX was formulated.

RatX is a major breakthrough! Now, with a safe and effective alternative available, there's no reason for anyone to use an anticoagulant rodenticide.

Anticoagulant rodenticides have been the most commonly used compounds for controlling rodent pests since they were first discovered in the 1940s, but they pose a significant threat to wildlife and ecosystems.

Today's potent anticoagulant rodenticides are meant to be lethal to mice and rats after a single feeding, however, if consumed by another animal, directly or indirectly, these toxins build accumulate in the liver, persisting for months. A single poisoned mouse may not be enough to kill a bobcat right away, but repeated doses will lead to its death. 



10 comments:

  1. This can't get on the shelves fast enough for me! I have a friend who lives in a totally mouse-infested mobile home, and she is struggling daily to fight them off without harming the many rabbits and avian predators who also live in the area. This product would be a god-send to her! Many thanks for the headsup, I will keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. We need to protect the health of raptors and owls, the natural predators of rodents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does it kill thr rats? Seems odd it would be poisonous to them and not other creatures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca Dmytryk, President CEO WESFebruary 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM

      Please click the RatX logo image and it will take you to a newly uploaded page that should explain how it works. It is not a poison - it does not POISON them.

      Delete
  4. Nowhere in the RatX product booklet you provided a link to does it indicate squirrels are safe from this product. In fact it indicates that this product will kill all rodents which includes squirrels and native rodents such as dusky-footed wood mice and California voles.
    "The specific mode of action of RatX™ and its inherent safety to non-rodents is based on a range of characteristics unique to rodents: • Rodents are opportunistic feeders and can consume up to 10% of their body weight. • Rodents cannot vomit or regurgitate. • Rodents have a unique digestive system in which the caecum (sack between large and small intestine) plays an active role."

    It also describes a fairly painful and horrible killing process that causes severe dehydration, circulatory system and kidney failure, and takes 4-7 days before death finally occurs.
    "How RatX™ Works: RatX™ is consumed as a food source as part of a rodent’s natural eating habit. After ingestion, dehydration commences causing blood thickening & circulatory collapse, whereby rodents become lethargic, retreat to their burrow, lapse into a coma and die."

    It also indicates that to be most effective all other food sources must be removed which is one of the most common and effective means of encouraging any 'pest' species to leave naturally. As wildlife rehabilitators know, removing food sources and den sites and making the area unwelcoming to the unwanted animals will always be the most effective and cost efficient method of encouraging unwanted animals (be it mice and rats or raccoons, foxes, bears, etc) to leave on their own.

    Bottom line: Anticoagulant rodenticides are obviously bad and shouldn't be used. However, I don’t believe this to be a humane product either. Nor do I believe that wildlife rehabilitators should be promoting this product or any poisons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca Dmytryk, President CEO WESFebruary 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM

    Thank you for bringing up these concerns. I uploaded an even newer product pamphlet that should explain it more clearly. The wording has been changed to indicate it is specific to the unique digestive system of rats and mice.

    As for your concern that it is not a humane death - neither is hemorrhaging, right? This product isn't for those who are willing to do what it takes to control rodent populations naturally and in a humane way - like you said, to remove food sources and access to shelter, but for those consumers who don't care - who would just as soon purchase anticoagulant rodenticides. Does that makes sense? It's perfect for use in agriculture and other industries where it can replace the current widespread use of SGARs. This will make a huge difference in the number of wild animals exposed to anticoagulants, and is exactly why wildlife rehabilitators should be endorsing use of a safe and effective alternative to poisons.

    It's not about encouraging people to use RatX, it's supporting its use over other brands - the toxic anticoagulants. Okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We tried a non poisonous rodent control bait years ago. It was made of ground up corncob and was supposed to kill the same way as RatX. They danced all night, and never died. We use humane traps that catch them alive, then we exterminate them effectively and quickly. Non target species are released. In our cupboards and enclosed spaces where birds cannot go, we use an electronic trap. They go in and when they touch the two plates at once are instantly killed.

    Another big problem with diminished use of anticoagulant rodenticides: increased use of bromethalin and strychnine both of which kill the rodent by causing fatal neurologic problems and for which there is no antidote if your pet eats the bait. Of the two, bromethalin is worse since it cannot be treated by prolonged anesthesia as can be strychnine.

    I encourage everyone to use mechanical controls and indoor cats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still don't see where it indicates that it is safe for squirrels or other rodents. Squirrels have the same basic digestive system as rats. I see that it is safe around other animals, but don't see anywhere in the pamphlet that it is safe for squirrels, especially ground squirrels who have the same food source as rats. That said, it's good that if people insist on killing via a "long-distance" method (rather than humanely euthanizing the animal themselves) to have an option that will not work its way up the food chain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca Dmytryk, President CEO WESFebruary 25, 2014 at 9:24 AM

      It clearly states it is made specifically for and works specifically on mice and rats. The formula is based on the unique digestive system found only in rats and mice

      Delete
  8. I think since RatX formulation had to be made so it is appetizing to rats and mice so they would eat it, it is probably also appetizing to other animals, and therefore they compete with rats for this food source, and hence diminish its impact on the rat and mouse population – due to it not being available. It may be necessary to increase the amount of RatX one has to put out – in order to increase substance availability for rats and mice. This will definitely increase the cost.

    ReplyDelete