Dec 7, 2014

At a crossroads

Dear Fans and Supporters of Wildlife Emergency Services, as director of this program, I am coming to you for guidance.

As many of you know, we are a small nonprofit specializing in response to wild animals in distress, providing injured animals with immediate aid and transport to the nearest wildlife hospital. 

We're also one of the very few organizations in the country that performs difficult, technical wildlife rescues.

To date, we have managed as an all-volunteer-run charity. No employees. No paid staff.

Over the last few years, however, we have experienced a decline in donations and a wane in volunteerism, reducing our capacity to respond to wildlife emergencies.

The time has come for us to have a paid Program Director to oversee day-to-day operations and lead wildlife rescues. 

We've launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise operating expenses in 2015, which includes one paid position. See a breakdown of expenses HERE.

Without this financial support, we will be forced to reduce field services in 2015.

Please help us continue our valuable work by making a contribution today. 

Thank you,

Rebecca Dmytryk, CEO, President
Wildlife Emergency Services / National Association for Wildlife Emergency Services

You can donate in these ways:

1. Through our Go Fund Me campaign, HERE.

2. By check payable to WES: 

P.O. Box 65 Moss Landing CA 95039

3. Safely and securely through PayPal.

4. Send us a little something every month:

Support Options


Bill Leikam said...

Rebecca: Have you tried to get funding from the Monterey County Resource Conservation District? (I am a board member for the Guadalupe-Coyote Resource Conservation District covering the Santa Clara Valley.) One of their jobs is to fund projects. I assume that your non-profit should fit with their goals. Also, there may be funding available through the aquarium. Have you tried to get funding from other sources both local and national? Caltran might also be a source. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Also, every county has the equivalent of a "Fish and Game Commission." Some counties blend it in with a recreation committee or others. When CA F&W Game Wardens cite perps, if they eventually are convicted, part of the fines collected come to the County's F&G or equivalent. They then are supposed to distribute those funds. Placer County does an annual "grant" program. WES would be the perfect recipient (IMO). The amount isn't very large (depends on the competition), but it might be good publicity. Good luck to WES!!

Anonymous said...

Grant writer.... at least to help cover your Education classes.

Rebecca Dmytryk said...

Are you offering?

Rebecca Dmytryk said...

These are all great suggestions and could be a way of securing enough for next year. In the big picture, however, we need to consider something along the lines of a property tax of, say, one dollar a year for a single family dwelling. If EVERYONE pitched in, rescue groups like WES and wildlife hospitals could finally have the funding they need, annually!

Unknown said...

Good luck with your campaign. I am a volunteer at a bird rescue/rehab in Arizona and we are experiencing the same pains.