Mar 12, 2013

Bag O'Possum

Yesterday, WES was contacted about a mother opossum that was found inside a plastic shopping bag on a resident's patio at a senior-living community in Hollister, CA.

According to the resident, the opossum had been coming around frequently - probably attracted by the bowl of cat food on the patio.

It seems as though the opossum decided to curl up and sleep the day inside the pouch-like bag.

Check out the video, below.





The opossum is the only marsupial found in the United States. These primitive creatures have a tendency to wander, using den sites for a few days to several weeks, depending on the abundancy of food nearby.

Being transients, an adult opossums can cover hundreds of miles during 
its short lifetime of about 2 to 3 years.

For more on this incredible animal, check out The Opossum: It's Amazing Story, HERE.



2 comments:

Ingrid (@thewildbeat) said...

What a touching scenario. Thank you for linking out to The Opossum Story. It's information I'll definitely be sharing, particularly since I encounter a lot of misunderstanding about these amazing animals.

Anonymous said...

I live in the country, I see these creatures often, usually dead.
I have seen drivers INTENTIONALLY run over these creatures. In my land there is a family of them, that go into my Mr. Goat's garden at night to get water from the bowl I provide all during the summer, as the weather here gets to three digits during summer time. I am so glad to find out this organization has help one of these creatures that have very little land to go to and survive. Thank you on behalf of all the animals of Harmony Kennels Foundation. Vacaville, CA. Maite.